Saturday, March 01, 2003

[Safari vs IE]


I'm trying to switch my browser to Safari. Do you think am I happy now? YES, I'm very happy for following reasons.

1. I can post comments in Japanese using Text Encoding = Japanese (or Unicode).
Since Blogger doesn't support Japanese input in their web application, I always had to write Japanese text with Stikies then copy & paste them in Blogger UI. It was a really pain process because the default Text encoding of Blogger web app is always 1-byte, I had to change the encoding to Japanese everytime I post something, even preview the post in Blogger. Now I can directly write Japanese on Blogger. This is huge improvement to me.

2. Transporting IE Bookmark.
I have tons of bookmars in IE, and you know, I can't live without these bookmarks. However, Apple did good thing here, Safari stores IE bookmarks into "Imported IE Favorites" folder when you go to Show All Bookmarks in the menu item. I just selected all bookmarks list (Select All) in the window then drag&drop it to the Bookmarks Menu which locates second row in the Bookmark window. Guess what? All of my IE bookmarks are now available under the bookmark menu of Safari. I did this within a minute. No pain, No conflicts. Just smile quietly. :)

3. Faster than IE in general.
I noticed that Safari is faster than IE for most of the site. There are some sites slower than IE.



Conclusion
Safari is a good option for OS X users. My biggest concern of Mac version of IE was slower implementation of the new technology. It shouldn't be a problem if Apple will implement right thing, but...it seems like Apple doesn't care too much about Web Service. Also, I just noticed that posting article from Safari cause my blog site down for some minutes...I have to investigate the character encoding thing next few days.

Now it's interesting to see the next release of MS IE for OS X. Competition is always good thing. Overall, I still need to use IE at this moment. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home