Monday, January 26, 2004

Lost in Translation

It's one of the best movie I have ever seen. I watched this movie last October, and was very impressed by Sofia Coppola's sense of capturing the atomosphere of Japan. The atomosphere of the city directly reached to my heart, no matter whether I'm Japanese or foreigner, I thought everyone who were in Japan may have same feeling from the screen. It captures the atomosphere, the city, people, time, all come along with the story that is presenting by two Americans (Foreigners in Japan).

I think the reaction of these two charactors are common experience to many of people, I mean, the person who is from outside of Japan. Since the context of the culture is different compared to many countries, people may find difficult to understand Japanese culture at the beginning, the city may look hyper-illuminated chaos especially if you don't understand the language. (I should say there is an order in that chaos)

Well, I'm not going to talk about cultural things here. What I want to say is: the most beautiful thing in this movie is its atomosphere. I haven't had such a feeling that I'm in the movie, I mean, I was in Tokyo, Kyoto, and many scenes... many scenes overlapped with my memory. I was just feeling and enjoying the atomosphere of the movie all the time.

I found funny in many comical scenes such as conversation between Bob and Japanese people. Some Japanese may find themself it's kind of embarassing things, althuogh, I think those things are lovely, and that's why Japan is so unique. The story is well "Translated" to the people who knows Japan, and who doesn't know Japan as well.

Below is the text from Sofia Coppola's intervew available on the official site. This text made me so happy.

+
Q: What would you like audiences to take away from their experience of watching the film? A mood? A moment? A specific emotion?

SC: I can only say why I wanted to make the movie: to convey what I love about Tokyo and visiting the city. It's about moments in life that are great but don't last. They don't go on, but you always have the memory and they have an effect on you. That's what I was thinking about.
+

I'm really grad that this film/actor/director took the Golden Globe award this year. They are nominated to Oscar also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home